Bridge Medical

Sickness Certificate

You do not require a doctors certificate for any illness lasting 7 days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer on the HMRC wesbite, HMRC Website.


If you are sick for more than 7 days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (Statutory Sick Pay).


It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a “statement of fitness to work” from your GP is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.


Statement of fitness to work – fit note.


The fit note was introduced on 6th April 2010 with your employer’s support, the note will help you to return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.


For more information see the DirectGov Website (where this information was sourced).